Adapted from my lecturer: Mr. Nur Rahman, S.TP., MP
(Thank you for the knowledge)
An egg will be damaged in 10-14 days (room temperature). Kinds of damage include:
1. Cracked eggshell, it cause of :
– collision, pressure –> they make alteration of smell, microorganism attack, loss of H2O and CO2
– Thin eggshell with wrong packaging and distribution.
2. The growth of embrio ( Heat Spot). It looks like little red ring on egg yolk (“Blood ring”). It cause of: embrio temperature (38oC) and it make embrio to be dead.
3. The absorbtion of egg water. It cause of overheat storage temperature and low of RH (Relative Humidity). Lack of water ensued: reduction of egg weight, dilation of air space, and reduction of Spesific Weight. The reduction of Spesific Weight and weight are use for egg quality detection. Eggs that storaged 3 months can decrease Spesific Weight (normal: 1,085). Dilation of air space can be detected with “Canling”.
4. Alteration Chemistry composition. It cause of overheat storage temperature. Kinds of alteration include: breakage of albumine, alteration of lipid, and other reaction that involve reaction with CaCo3 from eggshell. It will be known with different smell and volatile oils
5. Watery of egg substance. It is condition where is
viteline membran that bounding engg yolk and albumine was not strong enough.
6. Lost of CO2. It happen in the earlier period of storage. It cause of overheat storage temperature and Co2 level of the environtment.
7. The growth of microorganism. Microorganism coming from eggshell pore or cracked eggshell. The growt of microorganism known by bad smell and green color. If an egg damaged by mold, we can see some color in the egg: yellow, blue, black, and green dot.
A. Room Temperature: In 38ºC –> quality alteration in 3 days. In 16ºC quality alteration in 3 weeks
B. RH STANDART 75 – 90 %. RH > 90% ; growth of mold
– Covering the eggshell with oil, CaCO3, Parafin, Vaselin, or Sodium silikat.
– Storage with card paper (card paper can put outside egg smell with absorbtion and support to reduce loss of CO2 and water. It will be better to put the egg in the refrigerator. Put the egg with “large in up” position to hold the center of egg yolk.
– Egg albumine in refrigerator –> 4-5 days
– Eggyolk in refrigerator –> 2-3 days
– Egg in freezer –> 1 year
If you buy some egg, you must: check expiration date, make sure carton is clean, and egg not cracked, make sure the egg have been under refrigerator